FC 5 named service seems to "go away"

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Jan 18 19:07:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 rlengland at verizon.net wrote:

>> From: Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu>
>
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Richard England wrote:
>>>
>>> I wondered about resolv.conf and here is what it says.  Note that I have
>>> NetworkManager running:
>>>

>>>  $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>>  # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>>>
>>>  ; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager
>>>
>>>  search myhome.westell.com
>>>
>>>  nameserver 127.0.0.1
>>>

>>> myhome.westell.com  is the DSL modem/router .   I was expecting to see
>>> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>>>
>>> instead of 127.0.0.1, since that is how my FC6 machine is running, but I've
>>> not been able to determine where I should change the configuration so this
>>> occurs.  Since NetworkManager is running changing resolve.conf directly fixes
>>> nothing since it changes it on the fly.
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 is the "loopback" address.  For any machine, it connects to that
>> machine itself.
>>
>> Caching nameserver uses 127.0.0.1 so that DNS requests from your machine
>> will use your own nameserver no matter what your LAN/WAN IP address is.
>> Nice for laptops, which change IP addresses depending on where they are.
>> Maybe slightly faster than the alternative (your LAN's nameserver or a
>> remote one) in other contexts.
>
> Well, that makes sense, though I don't understand why the FC6 machines
> are both looking at the DSL address (192.168.1.1).  But then I don't
> know much about NetworkManager, yet, at all.

The other machines are probably not running caching-nameserver.  In that
case, they get either the nameserver provided by your DHCP server or a
fixed one that you provided at installation or using system-config-network
or by editing /etc/resolv.conf.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences