Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 35, Issue 151

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:12:05 +0000
From: Chris Jones <jonesc hep phy cam ac uk>
Subject: Re: How NSA access was built into Windows
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>

> > There is a lot about our government in all its myriad forms that
> > deserves closer scrutiny.

>Your government not mine thankfully  :)

>Although if it could ...

*Yours* already can. Take a look at the 'Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000' and some other more recent acts.

Today, a citizen of the UK has far less rights of freedom from being tapped, whacked and stuck into incommunicado cold storage than a US citizen does.

Canada, being Canada, is lagging in this, but the Conservative government seems to have lost its balls after the election, and CSIS and the RCMP are whining again.

Of course, overall, the levels of freedom in all three of these (ans Australia) are about 3 *ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE* better than....say the bottom 150 of the worlds 190 odd nations.

And the NSA is probably using teraflops of power to parse intercepted telephone conversations in real time, for the voices of wanted terrorists or words or phrases of interest. Pity we cannot know how they do it, because the technology must be really interesting!

Geoff

Geoff