fedora-list Digest, Vol 35, Issue 151

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 18 20:32:10 UTC 2007

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:12:05 +0000
From: Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: How NSA access was built into Windows
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>

 > > There is a lot about our government in all its myriad forms that
 > > deserves closer scrutiny.

 >Your government not mine thankfully  :)

 >Although if it could ...

*Yours* already can. Take a look at the 'Regulation of Investigatory
Powers Act, 2000'  and some other more recent acts.

Today, a citizen of the UK has far less rights of freedom from being
tapped, whacked and stuck into incommunicado cold storage than a US
citizen does.

Canada, being Canada, is lagging in this, but the Conservative
government seems to have lost its balls after the election, and CSIS and
the RCMP are whining again.

Of course, overall, the levels of freedom in all three of these (ans
Australia) are about 3 *ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE* better than....say the
bottom 150 of the worlds 190 odd nations.

And the NSA is probably using teraflops of power to parse intercepted
telephone conversations in real time, for the voices of wanted
terrorists or words or phrases of interest. Pity we cannot know how they
do it, because the technology must be really interesting!

Geoff

Geoff