Force usb drive to /dev/sdb1 ?

I have a permanently connected usb hard drive for backups and it is typically at /dev/sdb1. However, if I have other usb devices, such as a SD card reader connected at boot, the backup drive moves to /dev/sdb2. I do the backup by having cron run a script which mounts /dev/sdb1 and it fails when the backup devices is at /dev/sdb2 (or it might mount the card reader instead).

Is there a way to ensure that the backup usb drive is *always* /dev/sdb1 even when other usb devices are attached during boot?

Thanks,
-gene