Beagle

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 19 06:54:19 UTC 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 01:09, Craig White wrote:

[...]
>> If its not recommended, then IMO it should at least return an advisory
>> saying: sorry, root is not allowed to run this.
>
>----
>of course that misses the point...since root running GUI is what is not
>recommended, thus root running beagle isn't tested. The fact that you
>run GUI as root, knowing that it isn't tested, it isn't recommended and
>in the top 3 things not to do, and in spite of knowing all that, you
>choose to do it anyway suggests that advisories of any kind would be
>pointless. Thanks for making it clearer why there are more than 50
>warning labels on all ladders sold today.

Pointless?  So is all that su this and su that because I can't do it
otherwise.

[...]
>> I think this all boils down to somehow, this machine did not get quite
>> a few items installed when it was installed, and I did install
>> everything that was offered.  Missing beagle docs?  Why, they're right
>> there in /usr/share/man on my machine.  Except they weren't.

Let me use cron for an example.  It wouldn't do a thing until I had
scarfed up all the /etc/cron directory tree's from my FC2 install on the
old drive.  They simply weren't installed when I made the FC6 install.

Why?  DamnifIknow.

>----
>rpm -q beagle  # is beagle package installed?
>rpm -Vv beagle # verifies beagle installation (if installed)
>
>locate is typically a poor/inefficient way to look for docs on packages.

Probably true, but then I don't have to spend 5 minutes reading through
the manpage to find the option I need to use to make rpm do all the dirty
work.  By then I can have many queries processed by locate.  Efficiency
is in the mind of the user and we all have different priorities I guess.

>Todd simplified/clarified my suggestion of using rpm to locate man pages
>installed with packages but clearly the simplest way to locate docs is
>apropos...
>
>$ apropos beagle
>beagle              (rpm) - The Beagle Search Infrastructure
>beagle-config        (1)  - command-line interface to the Beagle
>configuration file
>beagle-query         (1)  - search your personal information space
>beagle-shutdown      (1)  - cleanly shutdown the Beagle daemon
>beagle-status        (1)  - repeatedly display Beagle status
>beagled              (1)  - the Beagle daemon
>libbeagle           (rpm) - Beagle C interface
>
>(you can man apropos if you wish)

Apropos hasn't been as educational for me as it could be, too much is
missing from its database IMO.  Here for instance, I get only the last
line in its output.  I thought I'd removed it, but yum just removed it
again, and the apropos beagle still says its there, so I assume the
apropos database is now out of date somehow.

>apropos doesn't list the 'README' files though and I keep resorting to
>pipe commands...
>$ locate beagle|grep README
>$ locate beagle|grep man
>
>10 hours of research?

Scattered over probably a month, triggered by the subject which seems to
bob up like an unsinkable fishing float.  This thread you will have to
admit does seem to have immortality.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)