X11 support list?

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Jan 19 07:09:35 UTC 2007

Skunk Worx wrote:
> I would like to disable the scroll wheel on the mouse under FC6.
>
> Could xmodmap do it? Any ideas?

Thanks for you ideas. I'm replying to the three suggestions below (1,2,3).

1) Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

...this one was not in my xorg.conf so nothing to comment out...

2) xmodmap

...in my case the $ xev output shows button events 4,5 to be the
scrolling culprits. The basic problem I'm trying to solve is to keep a
scroll wheel "rolling" action from entering combo boxes by accident and
changing the current value. I used the command :

$ xmodmap -e 'pointer = 1 2 3 8 9 4 5 6 7'

and

$ xmodmap -pp
There are 9 pointer buttons defined.

     Physical        Button
      Button          Code
         1              1
         2              2
         3              3
         4              8
         5              9
         6              4
         7              5
         8              6
         9              7

...to verify I have pushed the 4,5 out to 8,9.

...now I have something I can live with. My scroll wheel click still
acts as a middle button, but rolling the scroll wheel has stopped
working, which eliminates the (what I consider dangerous) behavior of
scrolling a pane into a combobox and changing/activating alternate values.

Also these links helped me too :

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-09/msg00004.html
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mouse_Scrollwheel

...the first gave me general clues about programs and usage and the
second for other ways to make the changes system wide.

3) Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Change IMPS to PS

...this was not in the xorg.conf and adding it to the input section made
X go into a crashing loop.

Thanks everyone I'm going to put option 2) above into testing tomorrow
while I read more about the mapping options in case I have done
something boneheaded. If someone sees a goofy issue with the mapping
shown above please post...

---
John