~/.Xmodmap doesn't work anymore?

Hi,

I personally need to define new keys of my keyboard
using xmodmap. For example in ~/.cshrc, I have:
  xmodmap -e "keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume"

But .cshrc is certainly not the right place for this,
since I should execute xmodmap only when logging in
via X on the console.

Here and there when searching the web, I find hints
to use ~/.Xmodmap or ~/.xmodmap and put there lines
like:
   keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume

but this does not seem to work at all.

Can someone tell me what's wrong here or how I can
tackle this problem?

Thanks,
Rob.