Re: Force usb drive to /dev/sdb1 ?

On 19/01/07, Rick Sewill <rsewill cableone net> wrote:
I could not find a way.  My USB disk was either /dev/sdb or /dev/sdf.

Instead I labeled the USB disk, ST330083_1A_305,
and then I put the following entry in my /etc/fstab:
/dev/disk/by-label/ST330083_1A_305 /media/usbdisk ext2  user,noauto

I turn it on and can mount it when I need it.

(Please don't top-post...)

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 23:44 -0500, Gene Smith wrote:
> I have a permanently connected usb hard drive for backups and it is
> typically at /dev/sdb1. However, if I have other usb devices, such as a
> SD card reader connected at boot, the backup drive moves to /dev/sdb2. I
> do the backup by having cron run a script which mounts /dev/sdb1 and it
> fails when the backup devices is at /dev/sdb2 (or it might mount the
> card reader instead).
>
> Is there a way to ensure that the backup usb drive is *always* /dev/sdb1
> even when other usb devices are attached during boot?

You could also look at /dev/disk/by-{id,path,uuid} if you don't want
to label the disk.

--
Mark Knoop