Beagle

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Fri Jan 19 16:07:33 UTC 2007

Ken Nordquist wrote:

> When I try to run 'beagle-search' as root, I get this warning...
> "Beagle cannot be run as root.  For security reasons, Beagle cannot be
> run as root.  You should restart as a regular user."  Pretty easy.
>
> As far as man pages go...  'beagle' is not a command, which is why there
> is no man page.  I do not have a man page for 'beagle-search', but that
> is for the GUI...  Using the GUI is self-explanatory.  I DO have man
> pages for:
>    beagled
>    beagle-status
>    beagle-shutdown
>    beagle-query
>
> HTH,
>
> Ken

I've been trying to figure out how to use Beagle.  I finally determined
that even though there is a "beagle-gui" package installed, the binary
for the gui apparently is "beagle-search".  It doesn't appear to be too
resource intensive on my FC6 box but for being a package that is
supposed to make it easy to find things, it sure was hard to find.  It
doesn't seem to be in any of my Fedora menu's, that I can find anyway.
  Do any of the file managers, or other programs on Fedora, have Beagle
hooks, options, etc which can take advantage of what Beagle finds and

My Beagle, Max, is far more friendly and easier to find.  Follow the
"woof" sound...

Doug P