i386 or x64?

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 19 17:08:59 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 19/01/07, Bob Chiodini <rchiodin at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> > I've got my new Dell laptop with Intel(r) CoreTM 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz,
>> > 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB) processor. Can I install Fedora i386 on it,
>> > or should I go with x64? I've heard that x64 has many, many problems
>> > with 32 bit apps, such as firefox. I use Swiftfox (an optimized
>> > firefox build) quite often. Other apps that I use often are the whole
>> > KDE suite, OpenOffice, Opera, mPlayer, F-Spot, and Skype.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any advice.
>> >
>> > Dotan Cohen
>> >
>> > http://what-is-what.com/what_is/spyware.html
>> > http://gmail-com.com/howto/filters.php
>> >
>> Dotan,
>>
>> I don't have any experience in the "Duo" area, but I have used x64 and
>> i386 on an AMD.  There isn't much difference in performance, at least in
>> the "look and feel" arena.  As jlwallen pointed out you will need the
>> 32-bit version of firefox and mplayer, if you want flash and the windows
>> CODECs, respectively.  Java is another sticking point.
>>
>> For me it was just easier to use the 32-bit version rather than juggling
>> yum repositories and other things.
>>

> Thanks. I guess that I'll just stick with i386 for now. Will I see any
> reduced performance by using i386 instead of x64?
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://technology-sleuth.com/short_answer/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html
>
> http://englishlirics.com

Dotan,

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=616&num=1

There is a comparison there.  It doesn't look like a significant
difference.  64 bit FC5 "feels" slower than 32-bit FC6.  An, almost,
apples v oranges comparison, but I'm happy with the 32-bit version until
the bothersome nits get straightened out.  Strictly desktop use.

Bob...

Bob...