[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Beagle



On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 01:54 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 19 January 2007 01:09, Craig White wrote:
> 
> [...]
> >> If its not recommended, then IMO it should at least return an advisory
> >> saying: sorry, root is not allowed to run this.
> >
> >----
> >of course that misses the point...since root running GUI is what is not
> >recommended, thus root running beagle isn't tested. The fact that you
> >run GUI as root, knowing that it isn't tested, it isn't recommended and
> >in the top 3 things not to do, and in spite of knowing all that, you
> >choose to do it anyway suggests that advisories of any kind would be
> >pointless. Thanks for making it clearer why there are more than 50
> >warning labels on all ladders sold today.
> 
> Pointless?  So is all that su this and su that because I can't do it 
> otherwise.
----
beagle runs in user space - su is not involved.

as for running as superuser, you can get a superuser's shell at any time
- even if your are running GUI as user so your argument simply doesn't
wash. You have pointed out in the past, you do everything as root
including compiling packages which makes it plain that your concern is
always for convenience over security. To think that you always run as
root, including running GUI, compiling software and then suggest to the
list that you feel compelled to install a vanilla kernel compiled from
source to secure your system from a potential intrusion by the NSA is to
put it bluntly, laughable.
----
> 
> [...]
> >> I think this all boils down to somehow, this machine did not get quite
> >> a few items installed when it was installed, and I did install
> >> everything that was offered.  Missing beagle docs?  Why, they're right
> >> there in /usr/share/man on my machine.  Except they weren't.
> 
> Let me use cron for an example.  It wouldn't do a thing until I had 
> scarfed up all the /etc/cron directory tree's from my FC2 install on the 
> old drive.  They simply weren't installed when I made the FC6 install.
> 
> Why?  DamnifIknow.
----
The thing I can't figure out is why everyone else's didn't break on
install like yours did. Little doubt in my mind that it was something
that you did.
----
> >rpm -q beagle  # is beagle package installed?
> >rpm -Vv beagle # verifies beagle installation (if installed)
> >
> >locate is typically a poor/inefficient way to look for docs on packages.
> 
> Probably true, but then I don't have to spend 5 minutes reading through 
> the manpage to find the option I need to use to make rpm do all the dirty 
> work.  By then I can have many queries processed by locate.  Efficiency 
> is in the mind of the user and we all have different priorities I guess.
----
It's a specious argument that you don't have to spend 5 minutes to read
through the man page and then claim that you spent 10 hours trying to
track the problem down.

I'm glad that I am not paying you clock time.

Craig


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]