Beagle

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 20 05:08:47 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:

> I thought tracker was an editor/composer, not just a player as mikmod
> is/was/whatever. They both have been around since RH4. So, now tracker
> is a database ?? Hard up for names? It's confusing. Someone better tell
> Google. Nor should one exclude the other, as they serve different
> purposes. One composes scores and plays back scores, the other (mikmod)
> only plays them.

Mikmod has obsoleted the old tracker for a *long time*. If you like the
old tracker, feel free to package it up and maintain in Fedora. It
probably takes less time to maintain it as compared to writing these
long mails.

> Why not name the new database "pine" since that would make as much sense
> or even more since Pine isn't in the FC scheme of things.

Pine might not currently be in the formal Fedora repository but folks do
use it. So your argument makes no sense to me. Also tracker is not a
database. It uses one though. Read the links in more detail.

  Lots! Tracker is one helluva app and doesn't need
> anything huge to run on. <sigh> my two cents, Ric

Lots of different packages get to have the same name. We deal with that
constantly in Fedora repositories. So learn to live with it.

Rahul