FC 5 named service seems to "go away"

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Sat Jan 20 05:46:00 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 10:08 -0600, rlengland at verizon.net wrote:
>

>> Well, that makes sense, though I don't understand why the FC6 machines
>> are both looking at the DSL address (192.168.1.1).  But then I don't
>> know much about NetworkManager, yet, at all.
>>
>> At least that seems to eliminate the ip address issue from being part
>> of the named unresponsiveness.
>>

> I have a router connected to my DSL modem. I have three machines
> connected to the router. The router gives the three machines the same IP
> address, every time. It's now set that way. I killed off network manager
> and it's craziness and just set up my addresses statically. No dhcp
> nothin'. Just edit hosts or use the netconfig thingie and away you go.
> No more problems. Oh yeah, set up your nameserver addresses
> in /etc/resolv.conf or use netconfig thingie again.
>
> You can now safely have a localhost without network manager doing beans
> to ya'. Ric

That's more or less how I had it set up pre-NetworkManager.  But since
NM was coming at me, full-tilt and it would be real useful on my laptop,
I thought I would use this as another $%^&ing learning experience.   In
general NM seems to be working on the FC6 machines (one laptop and one
desktop). It's only the  FC5 machine (desktop) that is confused.

We'll see how FC7 works on it when the time comes.

Thanks for the response, though. You suggestion is more or less how I
have it set up, now.

~~R