DPMS for runlevel=3?

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Sat Jan 20 14:29:50 UTC 2007

Tim:
> Only if you explicitly switch over to run level three.  X is usually
> running, automatically, in run level five.  But you can start and stop X
> by hand, and remain in run level three.  You can use the telinit command
> to switch levels, and it will start and stop X, as well, if the defaults
> are left to run it on level five, and not to run it on level three.

Oops! I neglected to mention that I use ctrl-alt-functionkey to switch
(then c-a-F7 to switch back).

Your response makes it sound like there are other ways to accomplish
what I want. Actually, I *really* want to _turn off X_. Is there yet
another way to do this (other than c-a-fk and telinit)? Note that I
leave all my computers run (crunching on distributed processing
projects); I use 5 (GUI), and want to turn off X when I'm not using the
computer.

Regarding telinit - do I have to be su to use it?