Checking dependencies in packages selected for installation

Right now, it's 10:37am. Around 10:00 I began upgrading FC4 to FC6. At 10:06am, anaconda started stage 2, I told it to upgrade, and I got to the "Checking dependencies in packages selected for instalation".

It's 10:37am, I'm still on that stupid screen, and the progress bar is still on 0%. On an ALT-VT, I can see anaconda is still shewing on /var/lib/rpm/Packages.

What exactly is so complicated here? This is not rocket science. This should not take more than a few minutes to compile a list of packages to ugprade. This is not a complete FC 4 install. Just the base install, plus X, plus dev tools.

It seems that with each passing release rpm, and yum, keeps getting slower and bloated. It's a dinosaur, with years' worth of hacks and patches piled up on top of each other, who's long overdue for retirement and replacement.

Wait… Hooray! The progress bar is up to 5%! It found six packages that need to be added to the upgrade list to satisfy dependencies. And it only took 40 minutes to do so.

What a speed demon.