Process for file protocol died unexpectedly// Session errors...// KDE restore session

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 20 18:13:38 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 10:49 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> Any ideas ?
> > I'm getting a "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly" when
> > I log into my Linux box.
> >
> > When I log in, my desktop has no icons.  As soon as I do anything with a
> > desktop file, it refeshes and the icons appear.  (For example, right
> > click->new->folder.)
> >
> > Also, my .xsession-errors file has literally hundreds of  "+QFile::open:
> > No file name specified" errors in it.  Furthermore, whenever I do
> > anything on the desktop, like move an icon, about 20 more such error
> > messages occur.
> >
> > I think the problem originated when I accidentally filled my hard drive.
> > Since then I have freed up a bunch of space.  I've also run fsck and its
> > fine error wise.
> >
> > I suspect that KDE is trying to open a file that was used in a previous
> > session, maybe when my computer shut down from a full hard drive.  How
> > does one wipe all the previous session info so that KDE doesnt do a
> > "restore session" operation ?

Hi, Kim,
	I only use Gnome, so I cannot comment on KDE.  However, have you
rebooted the system?  When a disk fills up, things can be hosed in
temporary files, and in the tmp directory affected by the overwrite or a
file not properly terminated (due to the fill up issue).  A reboot will
sometimes clear these files and let things re-initialize.

	Another issue is whether or not you have a VM running (VMWare or some
other VM such as JAVA can occasionally be badly messed up by a full file
system.) You may have to terminate the VM by hand and restart it to get
it to fully initialize.

Regards,
Les H