Re: Cannot start laptop - Grub prompt

On 20/01/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen gmail com> wrote:
I just installed FC6 on a new Dell laptop. The first boot went fine,
but now when I try to start I get the grub prompt. I tried typing
"boot" but it complains that the kernel must be loaded first. Er, what
am I to do?

Thanks in advance.

Some more info:
When I try to root(hd0,0) I'm informed that hd0 is a fat drive. I did
comletely erase the hard disk when I installed, though, and the first
boot went fine. So I booted into rescuemode from the dvd and tried to
reinstall grub. It tells me that /dev/hda is not found or not a block
device. Tabbing on grub-install /dev/h shows me that only hdc exists,
however , i does not have any corresponding BIOS drive. Googling that
error has gotten me nowhere.

Not that before I booted I played with the laptop's MediaDirect
feature, and I suspect that it ruined grub. Or more. What can I
do/check? Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/kde.html
http://slashedot.com