Cannot start laptop - Grub prompt

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 21 06:30:50 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 03:27 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks. I had to reinstall the OS. And just hitting that damn button
> nukes anything that's not Windows on the hardrive.
> Unfuckingbelievable. I'm going to have a fit with Dell customer
> service on this one, but I've not much ammo as they specifically told
> me that they don't supprt anything that's not MS.
>
> THIS IS THE LAST DELL PRODUCT THAT I'M EVER BUYING.
>
> I'm really pissed. That key _cannot_ be removed like most other keys-
> I've already tryed that. It seems that I must open the machine to get
> rid of it, as it's not a regular plastic pop-on job.

Hmm, I can understand some computers allowing you to play media files
from a drive without running an OS (e.g. MP3 players built into some
laptops, even some desktops), but for it actually rewrite data on the
drive is incredibly dumb!

I've heard of businesses that forcefully modify keyboards with knives to
remove those shutdown buttons, or slide spaghetti under the edges of
them so the keys can't be pressed down.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.