Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

Rolf Gerrits rm.gerrits at quicknet.nl
Sun Jan 21 11:05:47 UTC 2007

Rolf Gerrits wrote:

> My harddisk says "klick" ( parking I presume ) for no apparent reason
> ( that I can think of ) and my freezes or reboots.
> I cannot find any hints in the logfiles what causes this.
>
> I need some hints / suggestions where to look / test I can do / ....
> before I buy a new harddisk.
> .... I am going nuts with this....
>
> Info:
> 1. just my desktop ( gnome ) will crash after 1-2 days
> 2. if I reset - due to a freeze - sometimes the harddisk says "click"
> BEFORE Grub starts (sits on MBR) .
> 3. This started after I installed GKrellM (could be a coincedent) ....
> removing GKrellM did not solve anything (maybe broke something ? )
> 4. I removed "hddtemp" and "cpufreq" services ( the latter won't work
> for my hardware anyway ... so it says )
> 5. I have removed some corrupted files and my harddisks are free of
> badbloks or things like that.
>
> HELP !!

Replying to my own mail here, for something I forgot ...
6. I am running FC4 at the moment.
7. I tried to install FC6 on a free part of my harddisk and this failed
hopelessly.
Booted from DVD .... could fill out what I wanted ... , but it NEVER
gets around to installing anything because my harddisk gives a click and
the system reboots.
I finally managed to install FC4 in stead of FC6 from DVD , but with the
same problems.
8. I disabled SELinux ( not removed ) -> no difference....

Rolf