Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

Sander Hoentjen sander at hoentjen.eu
Sun Jan 21 13:28:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 12:05 +0100, Rolf Gerrits wrote:
> Rolf Gerrits wrote:
>
> > My harddisk says "klick" ( parking I presume ) for no apparent reason
> > ( that I can think of ) and my freezes or reboots.
> > I cannot find any hints in the logfiles what causes this.
> >
> > I need some hints / suggestions where to look / test I can do / ....
> > before I buy a new harddisk.
> > .... I am going nuts with this....
> >
> > Info:
> > 1. just my desktop ( gnome ) will crash after 1-2 days
> > 2. if I reset - due to a freeze - sometimes the harddisk says "click"
> > BEFORE Grub starts (sits on MBR) .
> > 3. This started after I installed GKrellM (could be a coincedent) ....
> > removing GKrellM did not solve anything (maybe broke something ? )
> > 4. I removed "hddtemp" and "cpufreq" services ( the latter won't work
> > for my hardware anyway ... so it says )
> > 5. I have removed some corrupted files and my harddisks are free of
> > badbloks or things like that.
> >
> > HELP !!
> >
> Replying to my own mail here, for something I forgot ...
> 6. I am running FC4 at the moment.
> 7. I tried to install FC6 on a free part of my harddisk and this failed
> hopelessly.
> Booted from DVD .... could fill out what I wanted ... , but it NEVER
> gets around to installing anything because my harddisk gives a click and
> the system reboots.
> I finally managed to install FC4 in stead of FC6 from DVD , but with the
> same problems.
> 8. I disabled SELinux ( not removed ) -> no difference....
>
> Rolf

As others pointed out this is most probably the "click of death". If you
don't trust our judgment you can always go to the manufacturers site and
download a HDD test tool for that harddrive. This will most probably
tell you to let it be friends with Mr Bin, be it after having met Mr
Cold Chisel and Mr Lump Hammer or not.

Sander