Disabling touchpad on laptop

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Jan 22 13:06:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 22/01/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:

>> > On ThinkPads I turn this off in the BIOS settings. Maybe you can do this
>> > on your Dell.
>
> That would not work as I must reenable it to mouse around. (What is
> the correct verb in English?)
>
>> You can use the gsynaptics or ksynaptics app to configure the touchpad in
>> GNOME or KDE (assuming it's Synaptics compatible).
>
> Thanks. I installed ksynaptics via yum, but how can I access it?
> Typing ksynaptics at the command line gives me a "command not found"
> error, and I don't see it anywhere in Kcontrol.

I don't use KDE, but I'd assume it makes a menu entry in whatever passes
for a preferences menu.  That's what gsynaptics does in GNOME.

Here's the touchpad section of my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Synaptics"
         Driver      "synaptics"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
         Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

The SHMConfig option needs to be set to use the GUI configurators.  From
the command line, you can also use synclient.  See the man page.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu