Re: Disabling touchpad on laptop

On 22/01/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs ces clemson edu> wrote:

I don't use KDE, but I'd assume it makes a menu entry in whatever passes
for a preferences menu.  That's what gsynaptics does in GNOME.

Here's the touchpad section of my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Synaptics"
         Driver      "synaptics"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
         Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

The SHMConfig option needs to be set to use the GUI configurators.  From
the command line, you can also use synclient.  See the man page.

I just reset the machine to test the wifi, and looking in xorg.conf:
Section     "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "Synaptics"
            Driver        "synaptics"
            Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
            Option        "Protocol"   "auto-dev"
            Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Also, a tray icon with the synaptics options appeared. So it's
working. However, it's all greyed out (I cannot change any options),
and it complains that it cannot access shared memory.

I just saw that it's set to emulate 3 buttons. So I hit the two
buttons and it pasted. Cool. I'm glad that I looked at that.

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/gallery/index.html
http://slashedot.org