Disabling touchpad on laptop

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:24:18 UTC 2007

On 22/01/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:

> I don't use KDE, but I'd assume it makes a menu entry in whatever passes
> for a preferences menu.  That's what gsynaptics does in GNOME.
>
> Here's the touchpad section of my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Synaptics"
>          Driver      "synaptics"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>          Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>          Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>          Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
> EndSection
>
> The SHMConfig option needs to be set to use the GUI configurators.  From
> the command line, you can also use synclient.  See the man page.

I just reset the machine to test the wifi, and looking in xorg.conf:
Section     "InputDevice"
             Identifier      "Synaptics"
             Driver        "synaptics"
             Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
             Option        "Protocol"   "auto-dev"
             Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Also, a tray icon with the synaptics options appeared. So it's
working. However, it's all greyed out (I cannot change any options),
and it complains that it cannot access shared memory.

I just saw that it's set to emulate 3 buttons. So I hit the two
buttons and it pasted. Cool. I'm glad that I looked at that.

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/gallery/index.html
http://slashedot.org