Re: OCD programmers and backwards compatibility :-).

> How do you make that happen as the devices are autodetected?  I'd much
> prefer
> to have things identified by controller/drive/lun where applicable than
> to have
> everything jump around when a new device appears and happens to be
> detected first.

That is all handled by udev on a current Fedora distribution. Older
systems keep a /dev on disk and the mapping is up to the user. Newer
systems its dynamic because hardware is more dynamic nowdays.

> In other words they didn't care how much of how many people's time they
> wasted.

It would move anyway to /usr/X11R7. So why not fix the historic oddity
that X lives in its own space which makes it messy to share over NFS and
friends.

Alan