Re: I have a corrupt FC6 rpmdb after a timed-out yum update; rpm --rebuilddb fails

Hi;

  I had already rebooted and the error I reported still exists prior to sending this email.  I subsequently deleted the rpm db files and am now doing the yum update.

Thanks,
Ken

On 1/22/07, alan <alan clueserver org> wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Amitakhya Phukan wrote:

> Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>>   I have a corrupt FC6 rpmdb after a timed-out yum update;
>>
>>   attempt to rebuild fails:
>>
>> rpm --rebuilddb fails:
>>
>> rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
>> error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
>> error, run database recovery
>> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30977)
>>
>> How to repair the rpm db?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ken Wolcott
>
> Hi !
>
> I face the same problem sometimes. I do rm -rf /var/lib/rpm/__db*
>
> after that yum update/install and then yum clean all
>
> then the occurrence frequency of the above decreases.
>
> the best way is pirut/pup i guess.

Actually this is a different problem.

There is a known bug where the rpm database gets locked and will not
release.

The quick solution is to reboot the machine and the lock will release.  I
do not know how to get it to release "properly".

There is a bugzilla report on this, but it is too early in the morning for
me to look it up.

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                   - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark