OCD programmers and backwards compatibility :-).

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 18:08:57 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> The scenario I want to handle is being able to take some arbitrary,
>> probably used, scsi disk, plug it into a working system, and know
>> where to find it.  It may (in fact it's pretty likely) that this
>> disk is a dd image clone of another drive already in the system and
>> all of the drives are likely to be the same make/model.  I know from
>> the SCA hot-swap slot or the cable/drive select where all the drives
>> are.  I don't want the system to guess about it or confuse one with
>> the other.  And I especially don't want it to move all the other
>> drives around.
>>

> Do the entries in /dev/disk/by-{id,label,path,uuid} help you out with
> that?

They might, if they were used in fstab and were consistent across time and
distributions, none of which is true.  I'm currently running an
assortment of
Centos3.x, Centos4.x, fedora, and a few others. By-path seems like the only
one that really relates very much  to the position that I know and it
looks like it might
move if any PCI card changes, not just a matching device controller.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com