Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Jan 22 18:17:28 UTC 2007

Robin Laing wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> In fact, while we're at it - never have another "release", just keep
>> upgrading rpms forever with individual packages being released,
>> but nothing called a whole distribution having a release. Individual
>> rpms just get marked obsolete and replaced with new ones in the
>> ever updated lists.
>>
>> Now *that* would be a Knight in shining armor! Fedora 7 is a mere
>> feeble imitation in comparison :-).
>>
>> [Just don't ask me to do any of the work :-].
>>

> Now, this is a great idea.  No more worrying about upgrades or do I have
> enough time before the next release to make all the changes.  What about
> he secondary repositories for things that will never be in Fedora proper
> that you have to wait to be released.
>
> I would like to see Fedora 7 or Fedora 8 become just Fedora and then no
> more 6 month release dates.  Just updates to what would be the next
> release.

I agree. Not to get totally flamed on here, but that is one of the best
features about Gentoo.  There's no 'release cycle', instead they have
'profiles' that they changes about every 6 months or so that include a
new baselayout (if needed) to include changed core components, gcc, etc
and you can 'upgrade' to that by changing the symlink to it.

I mean the only REAL difference between FC5 and FC6 (apart from the
installer/options, etc) is the newer packages of the stuff that's
already on the system (for an upgrade, that is).

I personally think this will set linux apart more from the Windows
crowd.  I mean, how many of us have dreaded upgrading Windows?  I know I
have.  (But then, I"m still running XP SP1 on my gaming boxes.)

--
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator