Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Tue Jan 23 03:45:32 UTC 2007

Hi Les et al:

I am sure that you understand most of my previous reply was written with
a bit of my tongue in part of my cheek.  However ...

> >> So what happens after you've learned something and are ready to do
> >> some real work with your system - and then next time that cruft is
> >> something worth saving?
> >>

> > Why then, I add the additional programs I want to the fresh install and
> > backup the configuration files I want to keep.  It is still easier than
> > trying to undo all the havoc I might have created over the last six
> > months.
> >

> But you won't always be a beginner creating havoc.   You'll get to the
> point where
> you set something up that runs for a year doing something useful
> without  attention
> and you might think that was pretty good.  Then when you manage a few
> hundred
> such boxes, you'll wonder why you are still re-installing one from
> scratch  every
> day.
>
> --
Your point is well taken.  I can feel that day arriving.

One thing I wrote in that previous post that I am very serious about
was:
"Fedora gives you a choice of a full update or a fresh install.  Let's
keep both."

Of all the advantages that Fedora and/or Linux has over other OSes, the
best is the number of options and configurations Linux has to offer.
'My way or the door way' feels like the M$ kind of response I am trying
to avoid.  As long as there are volunteers to create various options,
those options should be made available.  To me there doesn't have to be
one or the other -- 'update' or 'fresh install'.  Give people the
choice.

If the means of upgrading can be improved; discuss it; do it.  But don't
take away something someone else uses.  The release of Fedora 7, 8, ...
etc. could mean either a) its time for a fresh install or, b) if you
haven't updated lately now would be a good time.

--
Regards Bill