Re: Firefox locks sound

On 23/01/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 21:12 -0600, Justin W wrote:
> I'm having a problem with my sound every time I use Firefox. From what
> I'm able to gather, Firefox is locking my sound device somehow and
> will play most of the time while the rest of my system is unable to
> make a sound.

Just a note to say that you're not alone.  I have also had sites that
use sound (whether it be part of Flash, or some background racket), make
it impossible to play sounds with other applications until you quit
Firefox.

It is unlikely that Firefox is the culprit, more likely that a plugin
is to blame. The old version of Flash did not use alsa and did tend to
hang on to the sound device. Have you installed the new version
9.0.31? What other plugins are you using?

--
Mark Knoop