kernel 2895 suspend issue

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 23 13:24:09 UTC 2007

Hi,

Guess this is more of a question for Dave Jones.

Laptop Acer Ferrari 4005WMLi (64 bit) with Radeon X200 chipset, updated
FC6 i386 (not x86_64), ATI X700 video using X's radeon driver (not ATI's
proprietary driver), kernel 2.6.19-1.2895 kernel startup option used:
pci=assign-busses (is suggested when booting without it).

Suspend does not work:
Right click on the battery in the Gnome bar and selecting Suspend
results in the laptop suspending so that works. But after pressing for
example the spacebar the laptop does not come back, screen stays black.
The LED for the harddisk does not flicker. It seems like the kernel does
not kick the IDE interface or harddisk to wake it up.

$ sudo /sbin/lspci -v (only pasted the IDE part)

00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc Standard Dual Channel PCI
IDE Controller ATI (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 007e
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
        I/O ports at <ignored>
        I/O ports at <ignored>
        I/O ports at <ignored>
        I/O ports at <ignored>
        I/O ports at 8410 [size=16]
        Capabilities: [70] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit-
Queue=0/0 Enable-

If I boot with irqpoll & pci=assign-busses then suspend works.

The problem with using irqpoll is that hibernation no longer works as
the laptop freezes when it comes back.

Another downside of using irqpoll according to /var/log/messages is that
you pay dearly in performance. Something I would rather avoid.

Is this a known issue or should I bugzilla this?

Thanks and regards,
Patrick