Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 23 17:25:57 UTC 2007

Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em Terça 23 Janeiro 2007 13:18, Rahul Sundaram escreveu:
>> Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>>   Will Fedora become like
>>
>>> [KU]buntu, where you have a CD ISO to do the installation and everything
>>> else should be downloaded from on-line repos? If this is the case, I
>>> think it's a step back, specially for those with low speed connections,
>>> who could just copy a DVD ISO from someone else with a high speed
>>> connection.
>> Oh, another point btw. It wouldnt be a step back at all since the whole
>> of Fedora Extras was not available in the media officially. Now some or
>> all of these packages might be. So it is definitely a improvement either
>> way.
>
> In this, I disagree with you. Of course there are loads of software that is
> not in the installation media. But on the other hand, there are loads of it
> in the DVD (or multiple CDs) that is readily available once you copy it from
> someone who have downloaded the ISO(s) with a high speed connection and that
> would have to be downloaded separately if the installation media was shrunk
> to fit in one single CD. I see this as a step back.

Fedora Extras was never made available officially in any ISO images. The
only way to do is to copy individual RPMS's from the Fedora Extras
repository and burn them yourself or get it from some magazines or
online vendors who produced such images. You are also assuming that the
installation media is being shrunk to one CD. This was never the case.
There is going to *more packages* available in the media than before
when Fedora Extras was a separate repository regardless of whether a
complete set (core+extras) would be be available or not. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/7 for more details.

Rahul