Sun JDK 1.6, Java plugin, Firefox?

Knute Johnson linux at rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com
Tue Jan 23 18:09:40 UTC 2007

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Does anybody have the Sun 1.6 JDK installed with JPackage and able to
>> > get the java plugin to work with Firefox?  If I go to about:plugins it
>> > shows installed and enabled but I can't get any applets to run.  I'm
>> > using JPackage 1.7b, Sun JDK 1.6 and Firefox 1.5.0.9 on FC 6.
>> >
>> I installed the 1.6 JRE from java.sun.com - and it works fine.
>>
>> If you go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
>> then under "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6" click downloads and
>> get the Linux bin file.
>>
>> Once that is untarred you can collect the appropriate plugin files
>> and make sure they are in the plugins directory.
>> >From wherever your java directory is stored you then need
>> java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>> in the plugins directory either as the file or a link to the correct file
>> in the firefox plugins directory. You will need to restart firefox for it
>> to be active.
>>
>> This is how I do it and it seems to work fine.
>
> And, by the way, where from could one get the equivalent of
>
> java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.10-2jpp.nosrc.rpm
>
> for Java 1.6?
>
> Paul

Paul:

On the JPackage site, on the left side select "Our browser JPP 1.7b and
the 1.5_10 link is near the top just below the 1.6.  You need JPackage
1.7b to use either 1.5_10 or 1.6.

If you install Java 1.6 and the JPackage rpms and get it to run applets,
please let me know how you did it.  1.5_09 and _10 work fine for me but
the plugins do not work with 1.6.

Thanks,

--
Knute Johnson