Re: ssh tunneling and "channel 2: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed"

On 23/01/07, Mike Cohler <mike cohler gmail com> wrote:
I found the following for my case:
1) From machine A do "ssh -L 12345:C:5900 B" (where B and C are your machine
names in question)
in a first terminal window.

This allows an ssh login from A to machine B where the firewall is, but once
connected is set up to forward in this case port 12345 from the originating
machine A to port 5900 on machine C. Once connected to machine B, then login to
machine C on the standard ssh port. Now the tunnel should be set up with the
correct port forwarding that you want - in this case anything going to poert
12345 on machine A will be forwarded through to 5900 on machine C which is the
standard vnc port.

2) Once this is running then start the vnc connection command in a second
terminal session on machine A going to port 12345, and this will then have the
vnc command running and communicating to port 5900 (default) on machine C via
the tunnel.

Thanks Mike - this is what I did already except replace "vnc" with
"ssh" and "5900" with "22" in your description. It relies upon machine
B allowing TCPforwarding, which seems not to be the case for my local
setup. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Jonathan