Way to make distant servers to appear to have the same data ?

What is the most effective, most robust way to allow servers that are quite distant, and on slow networks "appear" to have the same content ?

In my example, the content is read/write at 4 sites. Hopefully the system should make caching possible for files that were originally at another site. If a file were not already cached, then it would get loaded across the slow network.

redhat global file system appears to be designed to do this:
http://linux.sys-con.com/read/166309_2.htm
but then talks about storage area network or LAN connections rather than slow wan links.

http://www.drbd.org/ raid across machines?

I did see a few other projects designed to solve this sort of problem, but I am having trouble finding them now {search hints ?}

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/ljpaper/lj.html

Has anybody used / appraised coda ?

David Timms.