How to mount xvda volumes without xm?

Mauri Sahlberg Mauri.Sahlberg at claymountain.com
Wed Jan 24 11:32:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a server that has crashed once due faulty hardware which contains
FC6 with one FC6-virtual machine. We got the machine up but instead of
it booting to xen-enabled kernel (which was default before last kernel
upgrade by nightly yum) it booted to non xen-enabled kernel. I would now
very much like to mount the root-fs of the virtual machine and copy some
files from it before retrying the boot with xen-enabled kernel. How can
I do that? The xvda-disk resides on a lvm-volume.

Without the xvda it was easy to mount volumes to host system but how is
it done with xvda? Is it possible without xen-enabled kernel? The only
solution for getting files rescued I now know is to use dd to image the
whole disk, install another FC6 with the same xen-kernel and start the
virtual machine on it. Very time and disk expensive. I would be very
gratefull for a simpler and faster solution.

Regards.