Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 24 12:02:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 23:40 -0500, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> In my experience, every time there's been a clicking sound from the
> drive, it's an indicator that something bad is going to happen in the
> near future.  Diagnostics usually indicate something being wrong with
> the drive.  But with what you've contributed here, I will be watching
> the 5v rails from here on out.

I've had that from two or three dying drives, but also from one that was
fine.  In that case, it turned out that one those crappy little 4 pin
power plugs was even crappier than normal.  It's not just that they
don't always have a good grip, but the metal in the plugs and sockets
seems pretty crappy, too.

I read messages from the public lists.