Re: nvidia drivers worth installing?

Mark Fraser wrote:
In article <loom 20070123T005722-276 post gmane org>,
   Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
Lonni J Friedman <netllama <at> gmail.com> writes:
Installing the driver is simple.  See:

That's very bad advice! If you're going to install binary drivers at all
(they're known to cause stability and security problems, and they're
probably illegal because they link non-GPL code to the GPL kernel), at
least install a properly-packaged one so you don't get a big mess each
time you update the kernel and/or X.Org X11. That's what
http://rpm.livna.org is for.

See: http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/3rd-pty-video/

I tried the yum (pirut) way when I first installed FC6, but that wouldn't
work saying that the package was already installed when it wasn't. So, I
decided to try the Nvidia driver from their site which I eventually got
working, only problem is that everytime the kernel or X.Org X11 changes I
have to recompile it.

If I was to try the official way again what is the best way of getting rid
of the other driver - the site above doesn't mention a method.

The nVidia RPM issue is frustrating. I have had to remove the current driver to update to the new driver when a new kernel came out on my FC4 machines.

Procedure was install new kernel, remove nVidia drivers reboot, install new nVidia drivers, reboot.

I just tried the yum-utils and find that I could possibly download and install the drivers using this so I will have to play.

It should be possible to install the new drivers along with the new kernel.
--
Robin Laing