Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 24 18:20:37 UTC 2007

Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> That's an interesting experience. I reckon I've never had a power
> supply-hard drive related problem cause I've never run up on a power
> supply with a bad 5v rail. Maybe I've just been lucky.  Although I
> usually only order either PC Power & Cooling or Forton PSU's.  That
> might be why.

I bought what I had read was a good power supply.  I purchase Antec
which I read a good article about opn TomsHardware.com.

> In my experience, every time there's been a clicking sound from the
> drive, it's an indicator that something bad is going to happen in the
> near future.  Diagnostics usually indicate something being wrong with
> the drive.  But with what you've contributed here, I will be watching
> the 5v rails from here on out.

The voltage was just at the bottom of the limit.  Just enough to
possibly drop when the drive was doing a seek.  As I have mirrored
drives, this was enough to increase the current and possibly cause the
voltage to drop.  Changing PSU,s cleared up all my problems.

It is harder to monitor SATA drives.

--
Robin Laing