Audio in Core 6

Hello,

I'm still a bit new to Linux and FC6; trying to tweak up my install (HP Pavilion laptop) and have been having trouble with xmms. I had it running, but for some reason tried to upgrade it (via the GUI package upgrader, I think) and lost MP3 capability. I managed to bring it back (older version?) with yum, and then yum'ed xmms-mp3. Now xmms accepts the request to play the MP3, but it runs through a 20 minute program in about 20 seconds w/o emitting any sounds at all! What did I do wrong?

Separately, I tried to install audacious, and it too has a separate plugin pack for MP3, but when I try to install (manually) the pack, it gives me errors saying "Have you installed audacious yet?". What do I gotta do to get MP3 capabilities on Linux? (I've got mpg123 running, but...)

TIA,

Steve

S. Feldman
sdf alum rpi edu