Where's /dev/sda4? SOLVED

David Levner davidlevner at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 01:22:37 UTC 2007

Tim's new disk idea did the trick. The previous disk looked fine under Windows 2000, but I tried a new disk and was able to mount it with the following command:

# mount /dev/sdb4 /media/zip

David Chipman's fdisk command is also enlightening.

# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 250 MB, 250640384 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 239 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

   Device   Boot      Start        End      Blocks   Id   System
/dev/sdb4      *             1        239      244720    6   FAT16

For the record, mine is a 250 MB zip drive that connects through the USB port. I guess that makes it a SCSI drive.

Thanks for everyone's help!

http://new.mail.yahoo.com