_one_ ipw3945 (Centrino) install method!

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Jan 25 01:38:22 UTC 2007

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> I searched arround the wen for _one_ method to install the ipw3945
> drivers on FC6 and then I saw at least 4 methods! (kmod, ATrpm,
> FreshRPM,...)
>
> Which one is supported by the Fedora development team, please?  I
> dont want to install it the "./configure; make; make install"-like
> way, I only want to stay rpm'd.

There isn't a way that's supported by Fedora officially.  If there
were, the driver would be either in the upstream kernel or in the
Extras repo as a kmod.

FreshRPMS uses dmks, which will automatically rebuild the driver
anytime you boot a new kernel.  That's nice as you don't have to wait
for someone to build a new kmod (or kmdl, as ATrpms provides).

I've got one of these cards in my laptop and have been using ATrpms
(thanks as always Axel! :).  Prior to that I built my own.  I also
gave the dkms version from FreshRPMS a try too.

I had much less trouble with the ATrpms setup because Axel's packages
also provide an updated ieee80211 driver.  Without that update it
seems that my wireless connection gets dropped or just sucks far too
regularly.  This may well be something that only happens with my
particular AP at home (a Linksys WRT54GX2).

The one thing I had to do manually with the ATrpms package is setup a
way to run the damn "regulatory" daemon.  See the FreshRPMS package
for one way to do this.  I've read that there is ongoing work to make
this daemon unneccesary in a future version of the driver.  Hopefully
after that happens the driver can be merged into the kernel proper and
all of this hassle will go away.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten.
    -- H. L. Menchen (1880-1956)