Firefox locks sound

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Jan 25 17:44:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 10:10 +0000, Mark Knoop wrote:
> On 23/01/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 21:12 -0600, Justin W wrote:
> > > I'm having a problem with my sound every time I use Firefox. From what
> > > I'm able to gather, Firefox is locking my sound device somehow and
> > > will play most of the time while the rest of my system is unable to
> > > make a sound.
> >
> > Just a note to say that you're not alone.  I have also had sites that
> > use sound (whether it be part of Flash, or some background racket), make
> > it impossible to play sounds with other applications until you quit
> > Firefox./usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.3/plugins/flashplayer.xpt.old

> It is unlikely that Firefox is the culprit, more likely that a plugin
> is to blame. The old version of Flash did not use alsa and did tend to
> hang on to the sound device. Have you installed the new version
> 9.0.31? What other plugins are you using?
>
> --

I've also had this problem a lot. I finally figured out it was flash
related so I removed the plugin, or so I thought. A little while ago I
went to www.thegolfchannel.com and their page played a flash app.I lost
sound. No sound in gaim or my vmware windows XP OS. That one actually
gives me an error.

I checked and I have the plugin here still:
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.13/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.13/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Is firefox picking it up from here even though I do not have it
at /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.9/plugins?

Even if I close that tab sound still is not restored. I have to
completely kill firefox-bin to get sound back.

Any other workaround for this? I would like to keep flash. Even if I had
to do something special to restore sound when it fails, other than
completely killing firefox.

Thanks,
James