How to set up mirrors in Smart Package Manager?

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 03:25:52 UTC 2007

on 01/23/2007 07:42 AM Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Hi, people
>
> Tired of the well known yum/yumex incredible slowness, I'm experimenting with
> Smart Package Manager. I must say I'm impressed with some of its
> capabilities, like the fast parallel download of files, the possibility to
> revert a package to an older version from within the GUI, to use a directory
> with a bunch of RPMs as a repo and to easily set up removable repos, among
> others useful features. Not having to download and rebuild the package
> catalogs every time you run the program or install a package saves much time
> too.
> However, I did not understand very well how to configure mirrors for channels.
> My doubts are the following:
> 1. Is there a way to use a mirrorlist URL, like yum?
> 2. What is the difference between adding a mirror channel (Edit -> Channels ->
> New -> Provide channel information -> Mirror Information) and adding a mirror
> (Edit -> Mirrors -> New)?
> 3. How to use the first of the above mentioned options?
>     3.1. Should I add a mirror channel for each mirror of a repo or just one
>            channel for all of them?
>     3.2. How should I use the "File URL" field? Is this a local path to a text
>            file with the mirrors' informations? How should this file be
>            formated?
>     3.3. If a mirror channel for each mirror should be added, their name
>            should all be the same? And in this case, what should I fill up in
>            "File URL"?
> 4. About "Edit -> Mirrors -> New", do I have to fill up the channel URL
> in "Origin URL" and the mirror URL in "Mirror URL" for each mirror of the
> same repo, one by one? Isn't there a better way to add mirrors?

I cant really answer any of your questions, but just want to mention
that I am using smart for almost 2 years with fedora (after apt4rpm yum
makes me sick) and I never bothered to set any additional mirrors for
the channels. I didnt manage to find any ready-to-use configuration and
I am too lazy to do it completely myself. But I found that smart works
just fine even without this. Of course there was couple times when the
default mirror was down, but It came back up later and I didnt have to
worry much about that.

sorry for offtopic

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./