Wine broken (or is it FC6)

Tonight I applied a bunch of FC6 updates then downloaded and built the
latest wine.  It still is hanging when running wincfg at the start:

 $ winecfg
 wine: creating configuration directory '/home/wadeh/.wine'...
 Failed to open the service control manager.

If I kill winecfg, I get a dir like .wine-PcQqhc which contains the
settings and virtual drive.  I moved it to .wine then restarted
winecfg.  At this point, I get a clear window with no menus, just a
translucent frame showing the background.

As this box was FC5 updated to FC6 and is x86_64, I am thinking there
must be something wrong (fonts, libs, etc.).  Any ideas?
--
Wade Hampton