ripping DVDs

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 26 06:09:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:43:12 -0500, David Vernon wrote:

> Amadeus W. M. wrote:

>>> mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile ./bigmovie.mpeg dvd://$yourTitleNumber
>>>
>>> The output of this is playable via mplayer,xine,whatever as a big mpeg
>>> and the sound will be in sync.
>>>

>> However, if you then want to author bigmovie.mpeg with dvdauthor, say, you
>> can't. Or at least it's not straightforward. I had to dumpvideo, dumpaudio,
>> then re-multiplex the two in order to get an mpeg usable by dvdauthor. And
>> the final product had a significant and annoying A-V difference of a few
>> seconds. I'd be interested in a good way of authoring the dumped stream.
>>

> I don't know if this would qualify as a "good way." It is somewhat
> manual and does not capture the subtitles. Basically I took these steps
> out of a perl script that I found someplace called dvd9to5. That script
> also resizes the title to fit on a standard dvd. I didn't want that so I
> just robed the other commands it uses and the sequence. All this is done
> after doing an 'mplayer -dumpstream' on a dvd title.
>

> mkdir -p ./dvd/VIDEO_TS
> # build a couple of named pipes for a bit-o-ipc
> mkfifo ./vid.fifo
> mkfifo ./aud.fifo
>
> # got tcextract? 'yum install transcode' if not.
> tcextract -i ./vid.fifo -t vob -x mpeg2 > ./ofile.m2v &
> tcextract -i ./aud.fifo -t vob -x ac3 -a 0 > ./ofile.ac3 &
>
> # now that tcextract is listening to our two fifos dump
> # some data at them.
> cat the-big-movie.mpeg | tee ./vid.fifo ./aud.fifo > /dev/null
>
> # put it all back together into a movie that dvdauthor can be
> # happy with. This step requires mjpegtools
> mplex -f 8 -S 0 -o movie.mpeg ofile.m2v ofile.ac3
>
> # movie.mpeg is a file that dvdauthor can be happy with. Next steps
> # would be some combination of:
> dvdauthor -t -a ac3+en -o dvd movie.mpeg
> # or if you have a file with chapter info for that title
> dvdauthor -t -a ac3+en -c `cat ./chapter-info -o dvd movie.mpeg
> # follow one of the above with
> dvdauthor -T -o dvd
>
> # you can always get the chapter info with
> tcprobe -i /dev/dvd -T 1 -H 500 2>&1 | egrep "\[Chapter ..\] "| \
> cut -d " " -f 4
> # '-T 1' means title 1 so change to some other number if appropriate
> #
>
> # now build the iso file:
> mkisofs -dvd-video -o your-dvd.iso dvd
>
> there you go. Write it to dvd or use it as the arg for mplayers
> --dvd-device option. your choice ;-)

What a small world, I posted very similar things a few years back ;)
The point of doing all this is to requantize the dvd. You want to separate
the video and audio streams so that you can shrink the video. Then, of
course, you put them back together. In my case, since I don't have to
shrink stream.dump, it shouldn't be necessary to split A/V and mplex them
back. But even so, I tried that, admittedly using mplayer -dumpvideo and
-dumpaudio rather than tcextract, and A and V are out of sync. As a last
resort I'll try again with tcextract. I asked on the mplayer mailing list
too and I didn't get a very satisfactory answer. The problem is with
stream.dump which is an mpeg stream, but it has some null packets (as a
feature) which mplayer knows how to handle, but dvdauthor doesn't like.

Sorry, this got off topic.