Re: mount problem

A chgrp/chmod should be persistent through reboots, unless you're changing permissions of something in /dev (which you're not)...that can get funny.

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Friday 26 January 2007 15:14, Craig White wrote:
I simply want users to be able to write to those directories.  I hate
having to do things as root when it isn't necessary or advisable for
security. The /mnt/Holding one is the vital one.  That was deliberately
set up with huge amounts of space for this purpose.
----
you might want to consider doing things like this...

if all 'users' are members of 'users' group

chgrp users /mnt/Holding -R
chmod g+s /mnt/Holding -R
chmod g+w /mnt/Holding -R

bear in mind that users with a default umask of 022 will create files
with a 644 and folders with 755 permissions which means that other users
will not be able to 'write' into those directories or over those files.

If I chgrp and chmod, wouldn't that last for one session only? IOW - Wouldn't it be overwritten when I boot up tomorrow?

Anne