Kmail offline

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy nigde at mitechki.net
Fri Jan 26 22:12:31 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Why did you snip the rest of my comment about the manpages?  Or was that
> in a subsequent message since this seems to be bouncing back and forth
> between private mail and the list?  I don't know and this has gone on
> long enough with nothing but shouting and handwaving which is bound to
> upset the rest of the readers of this list.
>
> I stated precisely what was wrong with those manpages and I see no reason
> not to say it out loud.  Docs don't get fixed if we are not allowed to
> fault them and those are damned sure faulty.

I am not saying the documents are perfect. And I will stipulate that man pages
are an outdated form of documentation which should be abolished, not updated. I
only mentioned man pages because you claimed there aren't any. As I have said
again and again there are a lot of comprehensive documents on the web about
configuration, customization and inner workings of selinux. They are one google
search away.

> They (the definitions of those vars shown in UPPERCASE) don't exist in
> those manpages and no amount of ignoring that fact is ever going to make
> it right.

I am looking at the man page and I don't see any "uppercase cariables" except
the normal man page standard to write command switch arguments in uppercase
(FILE, CONTEXT etc.). What are you refering to?

> So enough already, fix the selinux related manpages so WE, the users, can
> fix our own stumbles.  It really, really is that simple.

This is silly. As I have said time and again, the documentation is there, if you
do not read it you will not be able to fix things.

> As for your comment re the src, I turned on a few fedora src links in my
> yum.repos.d and never did find the srcs for selinux.
Where exactly did you look?
For kernel parts of selinux just install kernel sources. For the selinux
libraries and utilities yumdownloader --source libselinux. Where exactly did you
look for the sources?