Getting Fox News to work with Firefox

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 23:38:34 UTC 2007

On 26/01/07, Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote:
> I cannot expect to run a random, made for windows, .exe file on Linux.
> Is Linux broken?  Doesn't Linux adhere to standards? (cynical of me)

Exe is not a standard format. It is a format specific to the Windows
operating system.

> What users, management, and most programmers do not understand, is this:
> If you use Microsoft Development tools (including web development tools)
> no-one can use your application unless they are on MS Windows.

That's not obvious?

> Yes, there are exceptions if you know what you are doing.  But strait
> out of the box, Microsoft development tools are DESIGNED to promote
> lock-in to Microsoft Windows.

Yes.

> Third party ISVs are strongly 'encouraged' to do the same thing.
> For instance: Most web builder tools and middle ware will default to
> generating Active X instead of Java, even though they are capable of
> either.  Since it works out of the box on the development platform,
> programmers and management don't even consider whether or not the web
> application adheres to industry standards.
>
> So back to your comment:
>
> As long as most programmers and management continue to blindly use MS
> development tools, the lock-in will continue to extend to web services,
> and that is EXACTLY what MS wants.
>
> So ask yourself:  What do YOU want?
>
> I will take my freedom and go home, thank you.

So, how do you recommend that I promote what I want (the use of
STANDARDS, not MS code)? I had already suggested to write to the
guilty websites.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/ram.html
http://laurieotto.com