Please cancel my subscription

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 27 01:22:38 UTC 2007

From: "Charles Curley" <charlescurley at charlescurley.com>

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 04:37:53PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 26 January 2007 16:29, Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]

> Nigel, the problem in most cases is the placement of the unsubscribe
> links.  Many email agents clip off anything after the "newline dash dash
> space" signature delimiter, so they never, ever see the unsubscribe
> instructions.

I've never seen an email client do this (which doesn't mean I claim it
doesn't happen). I believe doing so violates the relevant RFCs. The
best we can do is best effort. If some ignoramus is using a
non-standard mail reader, I feel no obligation to extend myself to
handle their situation. Especially as I would find putting the
unsubscribe notice at the top of every email unacceptably obnoxious.

I understand Yahoo web mail does this as a primary offender.
{^_^}