How to set up mirrors in Smart Package Manager?

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 06:01:43 UTC 2007

on 01/26/2007 11:52 AM Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:

>> intuitive to use as yumex is. I can't understand why smart does not have
>> a function to convert all the yum repos to channels automatically.
>
> Because smart was not designed to be used specifically with Fedora/Red Hat. It
> is a generic package manager, suitable for several distributions and
> packaging schemes, and not many of these distributions use yum.
> Of course, an automatic conversion of yum repositories would be useful, but it
> seems no one yet have wished this feature badly enough, once no one has
> programmed it so far.

I was going to say just the same. The developer of the smart probably
does not care about integrating it too much in any specific linux
distribution. And this make sense, because even being so generic smart
is way better than any frontend to  yum (you better believe me I've
tried probably 5 different of these). If smart is packaged for FC and
someone is using it that some addiional coding should be done by fedora
people. Personally I didnt think about that too much, except maybe
"yeah, it would be nice to have something like that". Just because even
if had to create the .channel files manually, I had to do that only one
time, right after the system is installed. Another thing, is that the
maintainers of the repositories (particularly Livna) do not think about
providing the configuration packages for smart, like they usually do for
yum or even apt (???). So looks like someone should give them a little push.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./