OT? VDQ Terminal emulators under FC6

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 19:28:09 UTC 2007

Evan Klitzke wrote:
> Not that I know of. But this was correct as of ~6 months ago when I last
> looked into it.
>
> 256 colors: xterm-256 and gnome-terminal
> 88 colors: rxvt (probably also eterm, konsole, and others)
> 16 colors: pretty much everything else

It must have been about three months ago when I looked into it --
konsole and Terminal (in Extras) both support 256 colours. More to the
point, you can give them default TERM values that allow applications to
work out that they can use 256 colours. (And, for some reason, you can't
in gnome-terminal -- not without scripting your .bash_profile or
recompiling.)

> The 256 color support in gnome-terminal is actually provided by libvte,
> so anything that takes advantage of that will also get 256 colors. This
> is very, very useful for vim, because it gives you the same range of
> colors as you would get in gvim. Actually, during the time when only
> xterm had 256 colors (and libvte did not), I switched my terminal to
> xterm just for this reason.

It's also useful in Mutt if you use scoring -- you can have a whole
range of pretty colours for different priorities.

> The other features like transparency and what not are pretty standard
> and don't make a big difference. The exception here is that if you are
> using a compositing window manager, gnome-terminal will support _real_
> transparency. This means that if you turn on transparency in the
> terminal, the background of the terminal will become semi-transparent so
> you can see the windows and other things behind it, but the window
> border and the text in the terminal will be fully opaque. You can
> probably guess what terminal emulator I recommend you use :-)

I have yet to fully see the *point* of transparency on a terminal
emulator. If I'm running a terminal, it's because I want to see what's
in the terminal, not what's behind it.

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | [Training spam filters] is somewhat like house-training a
aprilcottage.co.uk | puppy: it's a painful process, involving contact with