Anyone using SUSPEND on a Linux Laptop?

I have read the cautions in SWSUSP and SUSPEND2, and wonder if
anyone is actually using either of these on a Laptop?

There seem to be so many caveats,
    (a) stop devices before suspending, unload drivers
    (b) USB wont be there when you come back
    (c) and on and on.

That I have to wonder how useful either of these actually is.

If I were trying to put this on MY machine I would just do the experiments,
but this is for a friends machine that I am setting up, and I would rather NOT
install this stuff at all than give him something that would cause more grief
than
help.